[Legal notice advertising the initial sale of lots after the survey of Fayetteville in 1834. The city boundaries at the time were College Avenue on the east, South Street on the south, the lots on the west side of West Avenue and Dickson Street on the north.]
Sale of Lots
TOWN OF FAYETTEVILLE
Seat of Justice of Washington County
The Commissioners for the county of Washington will offer the LOTS in the Town of FAYETTEVILLE, for sale, at Public Auction, commencing on Monday, the 8th day of December next, and continuing from day to day until the same are sold.
Terms of Sale — An advance of ten percent on the amount of purchase will be required to be paid down, the balance in three equal instalments, payable at six, twelve, and eighteen months — the purchaser giving bond with approved security. A failure to pay up the instalments promptly when they fall due, to annul the purchase, and the purchaser to forfeit any payments he may have previously made.
The quarter section of land on which the Town of Fayetteville is situate, was donated by Congress to the Commissioners of the county of Washington, in trust for the use and benefit of said county, and is mostly of excellent soil. The lots are well laid out both for fancy and convenience. The Town is admirably situate, on a beautiful eminence, near the centre of the county, on the dividing land between the waters of Illinois and White rivers, and is well supplied with springs of the purest water — some running into White, and others onto Illinois river.
The adjacent country presents a pleasing prospect to the spectacular. On the south and east, the blue hills and mountains, with intervening prairies, present themselves as far as the eye can reach; and on the south-west, there is much prairie land, of excellent quality. It seems that nature is entirely reversed in this part of the Territory, the Town site forming the dividing land between the water courses. The hills and highest mountains afford level land, of excellent soil, in sufficient bodies for good farms and well watered with never-failing springs. The growth of the adjacent forests is, oak, hickory, ash, mulberry, walnut, cherry, black locust, pawpaw, spice-wood, and the largest and most delicious grape in the world. It is likewise situate about five miles west of the three forks of White river, the head of navigation for keel and flat boats.
From the natural location of this Town in the center of the county, surrounded with a rich, fertile, and healthy country, already densely populated, and well supplied with never failing springs of the best water, it doubtless bids fair to become one of the most flourishing inland towns west of the Mississippi. Gentlemen wishing to avail themselves of an opportunity of making good purchases, will do well to attend.
L. EVANS, Com’rs.
Fayetteville, Oct. 2, 1834. 44-7w
The “Arkansas Advocate” and the “Memphis Advocate” will publish the foregoing advertisement until the 1st day of December next, and send their accounts to L. EVANS, Vineyard P.O., Washington county, A.T.