This two-towered hall was the first permanent building to be erected on the campus of Arkansas Industrial University, later renamed the University of Arkansas. It was designed by architect John M. Van Osdel in the second empire style. Today, it is home to the J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences.
The first men's residence hall at the University of Arkansas, then still known as Arkansas Industrial University, was Buchanan Hall, named for the university's sixth president, John L. Buchanan. "Buck Hall," as the students referred to it, opened in 1888 and served the university until 1937.
Because they were attending a land grant university, all male students at the University of Arkansas were compelled to participate in study of military science, which included drills on the front lawn of Old Main. Although no longer compulsory, students can study military science as well as aeronautics through the Reserve Officers' Training Corps.
Carnall Hall on the University of Arkansas campus was the first female residence hall on the campus, and it was named for one of the university’s first female faculty members, Ella Howison Carnall. It was designed by Charles L. Thompson in a colonial revival style and opened to students in 1906. Today it is an on-campus hotel and restaurant, used in part to train students in hospitality management.
This lane, though paved and widened, is still used by students walking from Maple Street to Mullins Library. The buildings include the Agricultural Library at left, the Experiment Station beyond it and the Agriculture Building at right.
Designed by Charles L. Thompson, the first Agriculture Building was finished in time for fall classes in 1906. Later, it served the campus as the university's infirmary but was put back into use for agricultural purposes after a new health center was built in 1965. Today, it is known as the Agricultural Annex.
The first Chemistry Building was finished in 1906 and served in that function until 1935, when the current Chemistry Building was erected. It was then used for the School of Law until Waterman Hall was built in 1953. Subsequently, the psychology and geography departments used the building and most recently, Student Support Services and the School of Social Work have been based in it.
The first Engineering Hall was built in 1904 by contractor Albert Byrnes for $22,500. It was southwest of Old Main on the University of Arkansas campus. After the new Engineering Hall was built in 1927, this building was renamed Commerce Hall and used for business classes. It was torn down in 1988.
Engineering students began observing an Engineering Day each year starting in 1909 on St. Patrick's Day. The event developed a rivalry with the already established Agriculture Day and both eventually became week-long affairs.
One of the first dormitories for men on the University of Arkansas campus, Gray Hall was finished in 1906 and stood about where Mullins Library is today. It was named for Oliver C. Gray, a professor and commander of the military department at the university for many years. It was razed in 1966.
In 1909, the Arkansas football team went undefeated, fending off such powerhouse teams as the University of Oklahoma (pictured) and Lousiana State University. So tough was Arkansas that year that the University of Mississippi forfeited its game rather than make the trip to Arkansas. It was also the year that the term "Razorback" became popularized as the mascot of the University of Arkansas. The football field was about where the plaza between the Arkansas Union and Mullins Library is today.
Built in 1888, the original Agricultural Experiment Station was erected at the high point of campus next to present-day Maple Street. The cost of construction was $4,000 with a similar amount being spent on equipment. After agricultural operations were moved to other buildings, the experiment station became home to the music department and later still to the university's news bureau and alumni office. It was razed in 1972.
A horticultural greenhouse called the Conservatory was built in 1898 at a site about where Memorial Hall now stands. It was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1920.
Pictured is the third mechanical shop erected at the University of Arkansas. Two earlier shop buildings were both destroyed by fire, the first one in 1895 and the second in 1902. This one also was destroyed by fire after an apparent explosion of metal in the foundry room.
The first infirmary at the University of Arkansas was built in 1906 about where the east end of the Leflar Law Center is today. It later served as home for the home economics department and still later for the social welfare department. It was razed in 1972 for the eastward expansion of the law school.
Construction started on Hill Hall in 1901 but it didn't open for residents until 1902. It was named for Gen. Daniel Harvey Hill, the third president of the university. It served as a residence hall until 1946, briefly was a women's residence hall and then became the home of the journalism department, the university's news bureau, student media and university printing press. It was razed in 1993 to allow expansion of Mullins Library.
The longest tradition at the University of Arkansas in terms of distance, Senior Walk was established in 1905 and includes the names of graduates of the university, dating back to the first graduates in 1875.